Thursday, October 15, 2015

Perfect Homemade Biscuits


There are a couple of reasons why I love making biscuits. My dad always made biscuits. He loved making them. Biscuits always remind me of him. After he passed away, I inherited his biscuit cutter, which was his mom's biscuit cutter. It is a possession that I treasure and love. I use it every time I make biscuits.



The second reason I love making biscuits is because I served an 18 month LDS mission in the Knoxville Tennessee area. My husband served a 2 year mission in the same area. We both fell in love with biscuits and gravy while serving in the south. People in the south make all kinds of variations of biscuits and gravy. There was one family, the Threets, that used to feed the missionaries all the time. She was famous for her Chocolate gravy. She always made it for us. I'll be honest, I didn't love it. I just love a good ol' sausage gravy. Luckily, she always served both types of gravy.

I make biscuits and gravy pretty often for a great weekend breakfast. 3 out of 4 of my kiddos love it. The 4th loves biscuits with homemade strawberry jam, so she never complains when we have it for breakfast.

Perfect Homemade Biscuits

3 cups flour
3 Tb sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
3/4 cup COLD butter
1 egg
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients, then cut in the cold butter until the butter is about pea size. You want to be able to see the butter. (I do this in my food processor. I pulse it until the butter is the desired size, then I dump the mixture into a bowl and mix the rest by hand) Add the egg and milk, mixing well but not over mixing. Turn out onto a well floured space. The dough will be very sticky. Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough and knead it just a couple of times. Then pat the dough out to about 3/4 to 1 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter or glass that has been dipped in flour. Place rounds on a baking sheet either lightly sprayed or covered with parchment paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the tops just start to turn a golden brown.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...