Sunday, October 23, 2011

Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein



As soon as I saw this recipe on Family Fun, I knew everyone in my family was going to love it. This recipe will definitely be a regular visitor at our house because everyone really liked it. I bought sesame oil for the first time to use in this recipe, and I can't believe I have never used it before. I have seriously been missing out. When I mixed the sesame oil with the noodles I seriously thought I was going to die. Ya know, die in a totally good way. It smelled so good. It made me miss my BFF DeAnn and my all-time favorite restaurant, HuHot. She and I used to go there when I lived in Iowa. But now I live here in Utah where there are no HuHot restaurants, (and nothing that can even closely compare!) and she lives all the way in Iowa. So, I will just make this lo mein, and imagine as I am pouring sesame oil on my noodles that she and I are chatting and eating yummy food at HuHot.
Just a little FYI, The cooking of this is goes pretty fast and you are going to want to have everything ready to throw in as it is time. You won't really be able to stop and chop anything up once you have started the process.

Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein

8 oz. thin spaghetti, broken in half
1 tsp. sesame oil (I may or may not have used 2-3 tsp)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 cups chopped broccoli
1 onion, sliced
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
about 12 oz of sirloin, cut into thin strips
3 Tbsp beef broth
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp oyster sauce (I used fish sauce, because that is what I had)

Cook spaghetti according to package directions in slightly salted water. Drain noodles well, then return them to the pot and toss them with the sesame oil.
Meanwhile, cook the sirloin slices in a large skillet. Remove from skillet, add the vegetable oil, when oil is hot, add the broccoli and onions. Stir-fry these for about 3 minutes, then add the ginger and garlic. Continue to stir-fry for a couple more minutes, then add the beef back in and continue to stir and cook for about 5 more minutes.
In a small bowl, mix together the broth, soy sauce, brown sugar and oyster sauce. Add this mixture and the noodles to the skillet with the broccoli/beef mixture. Cook for 2-3 more minutes, until everything is heated through.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...