Saturday, January 1, 2011

Lizzie's Stupendous Stuffing


This stuffing is so yummy.  I got the recipe from my friend Liz Cook. Before Liz showed me how to make it, I thought that stuffing was difficult to make, and always just made stovetop. But it is so easy!   Liz also gave me the idea of baking it in muffin tins, so everyone gets their own crunchy top.  I usually make some "muffins",  and then put some in a casserole dish to bake.   I make this every year for our big Christmas Eve dinner.

Stuffing

¾ - 1 cup chopped or minced onion
1 ½ - 2 cups chopped celery, including leaves
1 cup butter
1-2 cups chicken broth
9-10 cups dried bread cubes
1½ tsp. rubbed sage
1 tsp thyme (I haven't ever used this in it, because I never remember to buy it)
1 tsp poultry seasoning
½ - 1 tsp pepper

Sprinkle sage, thyme, poultry seasoning and pepper over dry bread cubes. In a large skillet, melt butter and cook the onion and celery in the butter until they are tender.  Add about half of the broth, then fold in the bread (don't leave any spices behind) and let it absorb the moisture.  Add more broth as needed.  Bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees.  If you don't want a crispy top, cover with foil.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...