Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sorta Southern Fried Chicken

I lived in Tennessee for 18 months as a missionary for my church.  There is nothing like southern fried chicken. Yummy! The reason that I call this "sorta" southern fried chicken is because in the south they would never use boneless or skinless chicken when making fried chicken. And they always deep fry their chicken.  So, this is my version of fried chicken, a tad bit healthier, but equally as yummy.  The buttermilk is really the key to good fried chicken.  It adds a great flavor to the chicken, and it tenderizes the chicken as it marinates.
*Note- all measurements below are approximate.  I don't measure anything, I just throw it in. You can really add any spices or seasonings that you want to add.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 pint buttermilk
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2-1 tsp seasoned salt (such as Lowry's)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
canola oil

Place chicken in a container or large ziplock bag and pour buttermilk over chicken. Cover and marinate for several hours (I would say a minimum of 2 hours).  Mix flour and seasonings together.  Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, then fry in about 1/2 inch of hot oil, turning once, just until browned on both sides.  Place chicken in a 9x13 pan and bake for about 15 min at 350 degrees, or until chicken is cooked through.

1 comment:

Wonders said...

Hello there my dear friend! I totally lost you and now I found you again! I have been desperate to find recipes to rejuvinate my blah collection. I know you, and everything you've ever made I absolutely wanted to eat until I was sick...and then eat some more! So I am VERY EXCITED because I will probably try pretty much everything I see on here. I'll let you know how it goes. You are my new allrecipes.com. THANKS for sharing! :) Miss you guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...