Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pudding Parfait Dessert

This is one of my most favoritest desserts in the whole big wide entire world.  The first time I remember having it was while I was in college.  I have been served it many times, and it is called something different every time.  I had it once in Liberty, Missouri at a restaurant called the Hardware Cafe.  They called it "The Robert Redford" there.
I got this recipe from one of my best friend's mom.  My friend Carrie is one of those people that Heavenly Father just knew that I needed in my life. We became friends in High School.  We went to college together, roommates our first year, next door neighbors our second year.  Then we left 3 weeks apart from each other on 18 month missions for our church; got home and went to college again together. Carrie was my rock during a time when I was trying to figure out who I was.  Now we are both married with kids, and our little ones go to preschool together.
Carrie's mom, Rea, was also such a big influence in my life.  She treated me with respect, treated me like one of her own, and treated me like an adult, when that was what I needed.  Rea passed away suddenly on August 12th, 2003.  It was 2 days before my second child was born, and I was living in Iowa City, Iowa.  It broke my heart that I wasn't able to travel to be at her funeral, and be with Carrie who was pregnant with her first child. I think of Rea often, and I can still hear her voice.  I can hear her say my name as she always did whenever she would start a sentence in talking to me.  She is an amazing lady and is missed.  I am so thankful for both her and Carrie in my life.

Pudding Parfait Dessert

3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup chopped pecans
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups Cool Whip
2 small pkg. lemon or chocolate instant pudding
3 cups milk

Combine butter, flour, and pecans to make the crust. Press into a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Cool completely.  Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, and Cool Whip. Spread over crust. Beat pudding and milk for 2 minutes. Pour over cream cheese layer. Spread additional Cool Whip on top and garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired.  Refrigerate for several hours before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...