Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chewy Homemade Granola Bars


These have been on my "to make" list for a few months now. I just hadn't made them because I kept forgetting to buy coconut (I know all you list makers are thinking right now "why didn't you write it on your shopping list?" or "Don't you shop with a grocery list?" Well, no, I don't.  See that little blurb in the "about me" section?  See where it says unorganized? Well, I wasn't kidding when I wrote that.  I am the most unorganized person I know.   In fact, that "to make" list I talked about, isn't really even a list...).  So the other day I decided that since I would probably never remember to buy coconut, I wasn't going to wait any longer to make these, and I would just make them without the coconut.  Boy were these a hit with my family.  I ended up making 2 batches in one afternoon, and they were all gone by the next day.  My kids and husband absolutely loved them... my husband especially. They are evidently his new favorite treat. They made the perfect after-school snack for the kiddos. I am not sure if I will ever make them with the coconut, but if I do, I will let you know. 

Chewy Homemade Granola Bars

2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup rice krispy cereal
1/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla

Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix together until combined. Press into a square 8x8 pan. (I cooked one batch in a 11x7 pan and one in a 9x13 pan.  So you can really do any size pan you want, depending on how thick you want the bars.  Just adjust the baking time if you are making them thinner.  I think I did the 9x13 pan for about 15 minutes. The ones pictured are from a 9x13`) Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and score into bars. Let it set completely and then cut into bars.

1 comment:

Morgs said...

We've been making a batch of these every week since you posted it. We love them a lot. We add different things to them like peanut butter chips and raisins.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...