Sunday, December 26, 2010

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

When I was in college, I had these at a party and loved them, but even though I thought of them a few times over the years, I never made the effort to find a recipe and make them. Then I had them again about a year ago when a friend made them and remembered how amazing they were. A few weeks ago, we threw a little party for my mother-in-law to celebrate her being alive, one year after her heart attack.  I wanted to do a bunch of appetizers for the party, and thought about these little guys, so I googled them, trying to find a good recipe.  I found this super easy, yummy one on the Taste of Home website.

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

1 lb bacon (regular sliced, not thick sliced)
2 cans whole water chestnuts
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup mayo

Cut bacon slices in half, then wrap each half around a water chestnut and secure it with a toothpick.  Place in a 9x13 pan and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until bacon is crisp.  Remove from oven and place the chestnuts in a different 9x13 pan (the recipe says to drain the fat from the first pan and leave them in it, but I think it is a lot easier to just put them in a different pan). Mix the brown sugar, ketchup and mayo.  Pour mixture over the chestnuts and place back in oven for 5-10 minutes, until sauce is really bubbly.  Remove from oven and serve.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...