Monday, December 27, 2010

Apple Pie

A few months ago, our friends Shauna and Taylor came over for dinner and brought this amazing apple pie. Shauna has been my friend for about forever. The greatest thing is that our husbands are good friends now, so we love getting together. Our kiddos are all about the same ages too, so it works out perfect. Shauna is my McD's playland lunch pal.  I just wish they didn't live 25 minutes away!  We should really live in the same neighborhood.
When I was planning our menu for our Christmas Eve dinner (we have my parents and Steve's parents over for dinner every Christmas Eve; A tradition that we love) I thought that this pie would be perfect.  Shauna was nice enough to share the recipe with me.  I will definitely make this pie again.  Everyone loved it.

Apple Pie

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie (I used the Pillsbury ones that you just unroll)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (I used salted because that is what I had)
3 Tbsp flour (I used 2 T flour and 1 T cornstarch)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water (I only used about 1/8 of a cup)
8 Granny Smith apples- peeled, cored and sliced

Melt butter in a sauce pan.  Stir in flour to form a paste.  And sugars and water.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan.  Pour half of the sugar mixture over the apples and fold together.  Place apples in bottom crust.  Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the rest of the sugar mixture over the crust, slowly, covering all the lattice and letting the sauce soak down into the pie.
Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35-45 minutes.
*I made the pie the day before, kept it refrigerated, then just warmed it in the oven a little before serving it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...