Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Award Winning Chili

Okay, so it's not exactly "award winning", but it has won a church chili cook-off or two. Does that count? My mom is my biggest fan of this chili. She loves it. The base for this recipe came from a Better Homes and Gardens "Red Plaid" cookbook. You may not know that I collect the "red plaid" cookbooks. My husband used to work for Meredith Corporation which publishes Better Homes and Gardens. He was actually the marketing manager for the "red plaid" cookbook for 3 years. So, I started collecting them. I have 11 of them, (although 2 of them are actually "pink plaid" for breast cancer awarness). So here is my version of their recipe. This recipe will make a big crockpot full of chili. It is also a very forgiving.... you can add more of any of the ingredients listed. I also have to admit that this picture was taken of leftover chili.  I forgot to take a picture when it was fresh and piping hot.  So, this picture shows it quite a bit thicker than it actually is.


Chili

3 lb hamburger
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
4 cloves garlic chopped
3 cans kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
3  8oz cans tomato sauce
3 cans petite diced tomatoes
6-8 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp black pepper

Brown Hamburger and drain, add onion, green peppers and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until onions and green peppers start to soften. Place meat mixture in crockpot, add remaining ingredients and fold together. Cook in crockpot on low for 4-6 hours.

1 comment:

The Beardsley Fam said...

Thank you for posting this!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your chili.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...