Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pumpkin Bars



Last summer my cousin's wife Cathy brought these amazing pumpkin bars to our Rigby Family Reunion. I seriously had never had a pumpkin bar as good as they were. I fell in love with them and I'm pretty sure that I ate 3 or 4 of them that day. I let her know that I really wanted the recipe for them, and about a week later it showed up in the mail. I was delightfully delighted!
Well, for some crazy, unexplainable reason, it took me 7 months to get around to actually making them. Who the heck knows why! But then, I made up for lost time and made 3 pans of these in 1 week. I tell no lie. 3 in a week! Now, don't worry, my little family didn't eat all 3 pans. Each of them were shared. But we definitely ate our fair share of them, and they were soooooo good. You don't need to wait until the fall to make this pumpkin recipe. Make it RIGHT NOW! They are amazing. Make sure you make the creamy, dreamy frosting with them. You can't substitute anything else! Promise me that you will NEVER put a can of store bought frosting on these delicious pumpkin pieces of heaven.

Pumpkin Bars

2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)

Blend together sugar, oil, and eggs. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Add can of pumpkin and mix well again. Put batter in a sheet pan that has been sprayed well. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool completely, then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla
1 lb powdered sugar

Mix together well until light and fluffy.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...