Monday, May 2, 2011

Orange Carrot Cookies

My friend Caroline made these cookies for me when we were both living in Iowa City, Iowa.  Our husbands were both students there, my husband getting his MBA and her husband going to Dental School.  We lived in the same apartment complex and traded babysitting. We were instant friends and have been blessed to stay in touch while both moving to different parts of the country. Caroline also taught me how to make a killer bbq beef brisket that I will have to share the recipe for sometime soon!
When I made these, I was out of baking powder, so I found a way online to make a substitution using baking soda and cream of tarter.  I don't know if it affected the outcome, (they were still AMAZING) so if yours look a little different than my picture, don't be alarmed; that could be the reason.

Orange Carrot Cookies

3/4 cup shortening (I used butter)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup raw shredded carrots or mashed cooked carrots (I used the raw shredded)
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
a little grated orange peel

Mix ingredients together.  Form dough into balls and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

Frosting

1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tbsp orange juice
a little grated orange peel
a pinch of salt.

Mix together and frost cookies while they are still hot.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...