Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pioneer Vanilla Ice Cream


When I was a little girl, my dad made this homemade frozen custard that I absolutely loved.  It had this distinct flavor that was really amazing.  When it was done churning, he would take the paddle out of the ice cream maker and lay it in a 9x13 pan and we would get spoons and eat the ice cream off of the paddle.  He stopped making it for some unknown reason when I was probably somewhere around the age of 10. I asked him after I was married if he had the recipe, and he didn't.  I didn't think I would ever have that amazing custard again.
Then about 3 years ago, our friends the Woodruffs, had us over for a 24th of July (Pioneer Day in Utah) BBQ and they told us about this ice cream that they made every year for Pioneer Day and told us that it was an authentic pioneer recipe.  When dessert time came and they brought out the ice cream, I took one bite and couldn't believe that it was that same distinct taste that I remembered from my childhood; it was my dad's frozen custard!  It took me right back to the days of eating it off the paddle.  I was so happy that they shared the recipe with us.  We make this ice cream all the time now, and I love it more each time we make it! Thank you Woodruffs!

Pioneer Vanilla Ice Cream

2 quarts milk
3/4 cup flour
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2/3 tsp. salt
1 1/3 Tbsp vanilla
2/3 tsp lemon extract (this is the secret ingredient that gives the distinct taste!)
4 cups half and half or whipping cream
(we usually use 3 cups whipping cream and 1 cup milk)

Whisk together a small amount of milk (1 1/2-2 cups) with the flour. Heat the remaining milk in a large pot, and add flour mixture to it (we pour the flour mixture through a strainer as we are adding it, to eliminate any clumps of flour there may be).  Heat and stir this mixture until it is slightly thickened.  When I say slightly, I mean that it really won't seem any thicker, just make sure it is good and hot, stirring almost constantly so it doesn't scorch.
Beat eggs and sugar together then slowly stir/whisk into hot milk mixture. Cool thoroughly (several hours in the fridge), then add salt, vanilla, lemon extract and cream.  Freeze in a 4 quart ice cream freezer. (We usually have a little bit that doesn't fit into the ice cream freezer)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...